Martinez CA Park Walk

Monday, June 19, 2006

My Walks Thru Hidden Lake Park

I need exercise. And, since I live near Hidden Lakes Park (NDS Warning - Not Dialup Safe), I walk around there. It's pleasant - there are hills, and trails.

And there is trash. Left behind by idiots.
Here am I, strolling thru the park. Just finished a can of my favourite beverage. What to do with the can? Waaay too much trouble to carry it. Just toss it. Anywhere's fine. No worry.


So I grab a couple plastic bags, when I'm heading out the door. Lots of free bags - thanks to my local grocer.

If I walk for an hour or so, no problem filling one up.

So, thanks to a friend that I just met in an online forum, I'm going to start picture blogging the trash.

Watch this space.

3 Comments:

At Monday, June 19, 2006, Blogger Skanky Jane said...

Hey Chuck,

I absolutely love this - here I am grinning and laughing - great idea man and I can't wait to see how it develops. I also really appreciate you plugging me *blinks*.
Very, very nice - and hey my (American) hubby tells me that his sister was born in Martinez CA - how 'bout that! He was tickled.
I am very excited about this - I wonder what our respective trash will tell us about our respective cultures? Looking forward to finding out.

 
At Monday, September 18, 2006, Blogger Charlotte said...

Great perspective--we see it where I live, 3000 miles away. I do the same once a week at the gateway of our subdivision, along a well-travelled road. "procede" correctly spelled "proceed", where you use "it's" should be "its" and we don't like your terminology "---hole".
But we're like Jane, "love your ideas." Make the world a better place, wherever you are.
Grammar Grandmom

 
At Wednesday, July 14, 2010, Blogger ouaisOut said...

I love your posts - both your perspective and your writing style. My folks live in a retirement community near Hidden Lakes and I was planning a hike there on my next visit. I'm still gonna go, but I'll bring along a few big trash bags. I don't usually see so much litter in the hiking areas I frequent and I loathe it. So I'll try to make a dent in the trash population when I go.

I did an interactive project about 5 years ago in SF, photographing and mapping the trash I found on my long city walks. Interesting to chart the routes of fast-food eating pedestrians. The process seems to run something like this: buy fast food, chomp away at one item, drop wrapper, continue on to next item, drop wrapper, finish with drink, drop cup. Usually, it's hamburger/wrap, fries/wedges, drink.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home